Kuala Lumpur, 12 February, 2020 – Today, adidas introduces the adidas adizero Pro – adidas’ most advanced and fastest ever distance running shoe. Representing 70 years of relentless innovation since adidas’ first ever running models, the new silhouette is a breakthrough product for the brand which builds on ten years of world records held by the legendary adizero franchise between 2008 and 2018. Engineered to meet the exacting needs of world-class marathoners and designed to allow all runners to break their personal best, the adizero Pro is the pinnacle of the franchise.
The adidas adizero Pro was first concepted and created with the vision of unlocking record-breaking performance. But the legend of adizero began in Berlin on September 28th, 2008, with Haile Gebrselassie, who shattered his own marathon world record and became the first person to break the 2:04-hour barrier, introducing the adizero Adios 1 to the world. The ten years which followed that day belonged to adizero, with the franchise supporting four more world records, with consistent ownership of the record over the period.
The adidas adizero Pro is the culmination of this history and the brand’s next-gen innovations, tuned to perfection through a combination of biomechanical and in-camp road testing with world elites, including Joyciline Jepkosgei, Amos Kipruto, and Albert Korir. Marathon world record-holder Mary Keitany also played a key part in the shoe’s development, inviting the adidas design team to her training camp in Iten, Kenya, to provide insights after training in prototype versions of the shoe on 20-mile runs at high altitude (2,400m).
adidas engineers and designers worked tirelessly with Japanese master shoe creator and 20-year adidas collaborator Mr Omori, who spent months on the lasts which the shoe was built around. With his ‘inside out’ approach to shoe crafting, he first perfected the shape and its complex curves, and then chose the right materials and textiles to provide a beautiful and exact fit. The end product is a perfect combination of innovation and craft.
The new silhouette, a reinvention of the legendary and record-breaking adidas adizero Adios, is upgraded in every possible way to provide the wearer with lightweight temperature-independent comfort, explosive movements, maximum cushioning, and durability, all working in harmony to create the grail of distance running shoes.
- Multidirectional CARBITEX carbon plate – Provides flexibility at touchdown and a snappy toe-off for maximum propulsion and an economically guided stride
- LIGHTSTRIKE and BOOST midsole – The innovative new midsole features Lightstrike, which provides super-light cushioning for explosive movements and enduring speed, alongside iconic Boost in the heel for temperature-independent comfort and maximum energy return in all climates
- Single-layer CELARMESH – adidas’ thinnest mesh ever, which completely locks down the foot for a fast feeling with no distractions
- QUICKSTRIKE DSP and CONTINENTAL RUBBER transition – The lightweight, injected DSP outsole provides flexibility and durability both on road and track, whilst Continental – a high-performance rubber compound – provides superior grip in all weather and ground conditions
- 198g for Men’s US9
- Heel to toe drop 9.5mm (21.5mm in the heel & 12mm in the forefoot)
Alberto Uncini Manganelli, General Manager, adidas Running, said “Fast is built into our DNA. And with a track record of constantly innovating the best products for athletes, proven by ten historic years of world marathon records from 2008 to 2018, we wanted to deliver something special with the adizero Pro. It’s the pinnacle of the adizero franchise and the fastest ever shoe from adidas. But what we really pride ourselves on is that the products we create are not only right for the few and elite – they also serve to empower and enable the many. What you saw on professional athlete’s feet on the podiums of last year’s NYC marathon and World Championships in Doha is exactly what customers can expect when they buy a pair. Fast, straight out the box.”
Mary Keitany, marathon world record holder and adidas athlete, said “On race day you need to know that you’re wearing the best equipment possible so you can focus purely on the running. For me, the adizero Pro provides that peace of mind I need when I block everything out and get that tunnel vision. I know that every time I put them on, I’m guaranteed lightweight speed and comfort across serious mileage.
Priced at RM850, the adidas adizero Pro will be available online at adidas.com.my and select retailers
- adidas Brand Centre Sunway Pyramid
- adidas Sports Performance Store Suria KLCC
- adidas Sports Performance Store Pavilion
- adidas Sports Performance Store The Gardens Mall
Follow the conversation on Instagram and Facebook using #adizero Pro and @adidasrunning.